MongoDB 3.0.14 binaries for Raspberry Pi 3

16 Comments

[UPDATE: 26 August 2017 – The binaries referenced in this post only work with Raspbian Jessie!  If you have upgraded to Raspbian Stretch, get the newer binaries]

The mongoDB documentation at mongodb.com states that 32-bit binaries are deprecated with release 3.2 and will be unavailable in future releases.  The latest version with 32-bit support (i.e. R-Pi with Raspbian) is 3.0.14 as of March, 2017.  I have compiled MongoDB 3.0.14 for Raspberry Pi 2 and 3.  I needed a few tweaks to the build process I used to compile 3.0.9 and associated tools. Use the installation instruction in my previous blog post to install and run MongoDB 3.0.14 on R-Pi.  The only change is to download newer files.  I have compiled MongoDB and Tools with the SSL flag — so the SSL option is available.

You can download a gzip file of the MongoDB core binaries v3.0.14 from here.

md5sum: 46bf23049406f02f5379d1d286a5e4f3  core_mongodb_3_0_14.tar.gz

contains:

• mongo
  • mongod
  • mongoperf
  • mongos

You can download a gzip file of the MongoDB tools v3.0.14 from here.

md5sum: bc1ca8c3346758e338e0490548c6567e  tools_mongodb_3_0_14.tar.gz

contains:

• bsondump
  • mongoexport
  • mongoimport
  • mongorestore
  • mongotop
  • mongodump
  • mongofiles
  • mongooplog
  • mongostat

Installation and use instructions can be found in my previous blog entry: MongoDB 3.0.9 binaries for Raspberry Pi

SaveSave

16 Comments (+add yours?)

1. john3voltas
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 14:33:37

Thank you very very much, Andy.
    It was very kind of you to compile it for us.
    Thanks mate.
    Cheers

2. Stephane
    Apr 04, 2017 @ 05:17:20

Hello Andy, would you recommend to run mongodb with node.js to act as an HMI (small Industrial process display) to capture and display in realtime some monitoring points? Wandering about the load of MongoDB on the Pi3.

Thanks you 🙂

• andy
      Apr 04, 2017 @ 12:54:50

Stephane, the quick answers is, “sure!” The longer answer is, “maybe.” an R-Pi 3 certainly can run MongoDB and node.js — and fairly efficiently. I don’t think I would run both AND use a browser to view, on the same R-Pi. I would run Raspbian-Lite on the R-Pi in headless mode, maybe reduce Graphics RAM allocation and use an external USB drive for storage. I would view the node.js “output” in a browser on another computer. The input method of data and number/rate of transactions might also determine suitability of using an R-Pi. One of the cool (& useful) things you could do is have replication failover for your MongoDB DBs to other R-Pis. This is the configuration I run.

LMKif you have more specific questions.

– Andy

3. Magnus
    Aug 20, 2017 @ 11:39:39

Thanks alot Andy this was very helpful, i copied these binaries over in the directory on my DS215J synology NAS and it seems to be running as it should 🙂

4. Pradip
    Aug 22, 2017 @ 08:35:08

Thanks for this post.
    I have used this in my last project. However now I am working on latest RASPBIAN STRETCH OS.
    Any chances of you updating this post for RASPBIAN STRETCH in near future?
    I tried the existing instructions but no luck.

5. Thiago
    Oct 22, 2017 @ 08:17:27

When I try run manual with this command: sudo -u mongodb mongod –rest –fork –config /etc/mongodb.conf

That error is show to me:
    mongod: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

can you help me?

I have a raspberry pi 3 B with raspian

Thanks

• andy
      Oct 22, 2017 @ 09:31:24

Thiago, seems like you are running Raspbian Stretch (or possibly an updated Jessie) which has different SSL libraries that are incompatible with the MongoDB binaries you are trying to use. Download my new binaries that have beem compiled for Raspbian Stretch – check out this blog entry: http://andyfelong.com/2017/08/mongodb-3-0-14-for-raspbian-stretch/ LMK how it goes!

• Thiago
        Oct 22, 2017 @ 11:01:12

Hi Andy, thank you for yout attention.

Now installed the version stretch and the another error shows to me.

root@raspberrypi:/tmp/tools# service mongodb status
        ● mongodb.service – An object/document-oriented database
        Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mongodb.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
        Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2017-10-22 15:57:47 -02; 2s ago
        Docs: man:mongod(1)
        Process: 17831 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mongod –config /etc/mongodb.conf (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        Main PID: 17831 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

out 22 15:57:47 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started An object/document-oriented database.
        out 22 15:57:47 raspberrypi systemd[1]: mongodb.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
        out 22 15:57:47 raspberrypi systemd[1]: mongodb.service: Unit entered failed state.
        out 22 15:57:47 raspberrypi systemd[1]: mongodb.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

If you can help me, I am so thank you.

• Thiago
          Oct 22, 2017 @ 11:21:26

apparently when I run mongod it works ok.

• Thiago
            Oct 22, 2017 @ 13:01:22

I don`t know why, but, when I try to execute mongod with mongd user, there is show an exception .

when I run direct from root, it works

• andy
            Oct 22, 2017 @ 13:25:47

Thiago,

check all files – owner & permissions:

sudo chown mongodb:nogroup /var/log/mongodb
            sudo chown mongodb:root /var/lib/mongodb
            sudo chmod 775 /var/lib/mongodb
            – You might also have exisiting files with bad owner/permissions in /var/lib/mongodb. You might want to delete and recreate… Look at this blog entry: http://andyfelong.com/2016/01/mongodb-3-0-9-binaries-for-raspberry-pi-2-jessie/

– Andy

6. Thiago
    Oct 22, 2017 @ 17:33:32

I really thank you so much!

Now, everything look good here, after I reinstalling and reviewing all permissons